B.K.S. Iyengar was born on December 1918; he adopted yoga as teenager to improve his health. He later started teaching Yoga in 1936. During 1960, Iyengar’s yoga became prominent as American and European students began seeking yoga instruction from him. He established a yoga institute named Ramamani Iyengar Memorial Yoga institute in the 1960s. He was one of the first yoga teachers for western world. He died in 2014 at the age of 95. During his Life time he wrote several literatures, bringing light to the topic of yoga. Out of his several Books, few are these –
1. Light on Life – This books conveys the discoveries from the lifetime yoga practice, study and teachings of B.K.S. Iyengar. This books help both the beginner and the experienced practitioner to design their physical stability, emotional Vitality, intellectual wisdom and spiritual bliss.
2. Light on Yoga – This book is a brief introduction to yoga philosophy followed by detailed description which includes 200 postures and its pictures demonstrating the asanas.
3. Light on Pranayama- In this book variety of pranayama are described and each is broken down into easy component so that practitioner can perform yoga without strain.
5. Light on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali – In this book he has demonstrated how patanjali’s philosophy runs through his yoga practice and teaching of yoga. He has interpreted the yoga asanas in his own way. People who want to understand the philosophical motives of Iyengar yoga need not to look further as this book explains all the curiosities.
5. Astadala Yogmala – This is a collection of Iyengar’s writing at various platforms.
Yoga is timeless pragmatic science evolved over thousands of years dealing with man’s physical, moral, mental and spiritual well being. These books have been our source of inspiration in taking the Iyengar Yoga to a new level and making lives better.