Iyenger yoga is a pedant style of yoga developed by and named after B. K. S. Iyenger during 1960s. Many people in the world reaping the benefits of Iyenger Yoga. People are healthier, calmer and happier. The Master of modern yoga, B. K. S. Iyenger was born in Belur, India on Dec 14, 1918. He was introduced to yoga in very early age of his life which eventually cured his tuberculosis. Guruji pioneered the use of props to make poses accessible to everybody. B. K. S. Iyenger redefined the use of props in yoga which allows all practitioners access the benefit of the poses regardless of their physical conditions and age. Props can be used to:
1. Make specific Asana accessible to those who may not be able to perform that asana otherwise due to their physical limitation.
2. Support the practitioner to perform the pose safely and effectively.
3. Provide support so that the practitioner can get the deep benefit of holding the posture for significance time period.
4. Props enhance the restorative and therapeutic qualities of a posture.
5. Highlight a particular quality of a yoga posture to enhance that posture and its effect.
Props include sticky mats, blankets, belts, blocks, chairs, benches, wall ropes, sandbags, and other objects that help students experience the various yoga poses more profoundly.
It helps in practicing asanas and pranayams with greater effectiveness, flawlessly and with ease. Props provides support to the body and relaxes the mind which lead to fullest benefit of Yoga.