Ardhanavasana is a yoga pose that is also known as the “half boat pose”.
Here are the steps to perform it:
- Begin by sitting on the floor with your legs extended in front of you.
- Bend your knees and place your feet on the floor.
- Lean back slightly and lift your feet off the floor so that your shins are parallel to the ground.
- Extend your arms straight out in front of you, with your palms facing down.
- Engage your core muscles and lift your chest towards the ceiling.
- Hold this pose for several breaths, then release and repeat as desired.
To modify the pose, you can keep your hands on the floor behind you for support, or you can straighten your legs slightly to make the pose easier. As with any yoga pose, it’s important to listen to your body and only go as far as feels comfortable for you.
Ardha Navasana, offers numerous physical and mental benefits.
Some of the benefits of Ardha Navasana include:
- Strengthens Abdominal Muscles: Ardha Navasana targets the abdominal muscles, particularly the rectus abdominis, transverse abdominis, and obliques, helping to tone and strengthen them.
- Improves Digestion: The compression of the abdominal muscles in this pose helps to massage the internal organs, improving digestion and promoting healthy elimination.
- Stimulates the Kidneys and Intestines: The pressure applied to the kidneys and intestines helps to increase blood flow to these areas, promoting their health and function.
- Improves Balance: Ardha Navasana requires balance and stability, which helps to improve overall balance and coordination.
- Relieves Stress and Anxiety: This pose is known to calm the mind and reduce stress and anxiety.
- Improves Posture: Ardha Navasana strengthens the core muscles, which helps to improve posture and reduce back pain.
- Boosts Confidence: The sense of accomplishment and strength gained from practicing this pose can boost self-confidence and self-esteem.
Overall, ardha Navasana is a great pose for building core strength, improving digestion, and promoting overall health and well-being.