Practice Parsvottanasana at ASMYI – To Rejuvenate Your Mind, Body and Soul
Parsvottanasana is a yoga pose also known as “Pyramid Pose” in English. It is a standing forward bend posture, usually practiced towards the end of a yoga class as part of the cool-down or relaxation sequence.
Steps to do Parsvottanasana
Here is how you could practice this yoga pose and ensure Parsvottanasana benefits.
- Begin in a standing position while putting your feet together.
- Step one foot back about 3-4 feet, keeping the toes pointing forward.
- Next, turn the back foot slightly, about 45 degrees.
- Make sure your hips are facing forward.
- Inhale and lift your arms up to shoulder height, and then exhale and fold forward from the hips, keeping your spine straight.
- Place your hands on either side of the front foot or on the ground, if you can reach.
- Keep your front leg straight, and the back leg at a slight angle, so that you could feel a stretch in the hamstring and calf muscles.
- Hold the pose for several breaths, keeping the spine long and the chest open, and then repeat on the other side.
You can draw several benefits by practicing Parsvottanasana regularly. Here are the prominent ones:
- Stretches and strengthens the legs: Parsvottanasana stretches the hamstrings, calves, and hips, and strengthens the legs, especially the quadriceps.
- Improves balance and posture: This posture requires balance and helps to improve posture as it lengthens the spine and encourages good alignment.
- Relieves stress and anxiety: The forward fold in Parsvottanasana can help to calm the mind and relieve stress and anxiety.
- Stimulates digestion: The compression of the abdominal organs in this posture can help to stimulate digestion and improve bowel function.
- Enhances breathing: The deep breathing in this posture can help to increase lung capacity and enhance overall respiratory function.
As with any yoga posture, it’s important to practice under the guidance of a qualified yoga teacher to avoid injury and ensure correct alignment. This is where the timely assistance of our ASMYI instructors will prove beneficial for you. So join us and get multiple Parsvottanasana benefits while abiding by our experts.